Thursday, 16 November 2017
CONSTITUTION OF THE “WOMEN IN BUSINESS, GIBRALTAR” FORMERLY “THE GIBRALTAR BUSINESS NETWORK”
The organisation shall be called “Women in Business, Gibraltar”.
To provide a professional networking platform which connects, shares and inspires likeminded women.
- Its objectives shall be to foster and create a spirit of goodwill, friendship and unity between professional and business women including through meetings, discussions, lectures, debates, conferences and other functions.
- To provide networking opportunities for business and professional women.
- To provide motivational support structures and activities for members and to direct members to the relevant services.
- To raise the profile and awareness of business and professional women in Gibraltar and in general to support and represent the membership.
- To maintain a forum in which professional and business women can develop professional and social contacts in Gibraltar, the neighbouring area and internationally, resulting in the exchange of information, expertise, contacts and opportunities. To increase skills and knowledge and to improve the position of business and professional women.
- To support and promote enterprises run by women, and women’s opportunities and development, in business and professional life.
- Leadership – to raise the profile and awareness of business and professional members
- Entrepreneurship – support and promote enterprises run by members in business and professional life.
- Empowerment – provide motivational support structures and activities for members.
- Collaboration – to create a forum in which members can develop professional and business contacts
- Respect – to increase skills and knowledge and to improve the position of business and professional members
- Teamwork – create an environment of friendship and unity between professional and business members
- Integrity – we are consistently open, honest, ethical and genuine
- Equality – support parity and diversity in the workplace
- The Committee
The Officers shall consist of:-
- Vice Chair
- Events Co-ordinator
- Membership Co-ordinator
- Marketing & Media Relations Officer
- Communications and IT Officer
- Education Liaison/Student Recruitment Officer
- Business Initiatives Officer
- Officers of political parties and women with a representational role within a political party shall not be eligible to serve on the Committee.
6. Committee members shall serve as follows:
- Committee members except the Chair shall serve for two years (unless they resign or are removed) and may be re-elected.
- The Chair shall serve for two years (unless she resigns or is removed). She may not be re-elected to the post of Chair (although may otherwise serve on the Committee) until a period of two years has passed since her previous service as Chair.
- Election of Committee Members
- Elections for committee members shall be held every two years.
- All committee members shall be elected by the membership.
Each member shall have one vote and votes shall be held in such a manner that the vote of each member is secret.
All nominations for the election of officers shall be made in writing with the consent of the nominee and shall be received by the secretary at least four weeks prior to the AGM.
Individuals may nominate themselves to serve as committee members.
In the event of a vacancy occurring among the Committee members during the year the person who received the next highest number of votes for the position at the last committee election shall take the place, and where that person is not available to fill the vacancy, the person with the next highest number of votes.
Where helpful to achieving the objectives of the network the Committee may appoint sub-committees; co-opt members onto those sub-committees; and designate officers of the sub-committee.
Where helpful to achieving the objectives of the network the Committee may affiliate with organisations whose objectives are in accord with those of the network.
- Committee Meetings
- A Committee Meeting shall be quorate where four of the committee members are present.
- Any Committee Member who fails to attend three consecutive meetings without legitimate reason shall cease to be a member of the Committee.
- The Chair shall preside and keep order at all meetings, ensure that the rules are carried out and report to the membership at the Annual General Meeting to be held each year. The Network Committee shall take decisions by majority vote. Each Committee member shall have one vote and the Chair shall have a casting vote where necessary.
- The Secretary shall call meetings on the instructions of the Chair, keep records of the proceedings of each meeting and write letters/e-mails as instructed by the Committee.
- The Treasurer shall collect subscriptions, keep records of all receipts and expenditure and present an annual balance sheet to be audited independently and to be presented to the Membership at the Annual General Meeting.
- The Committee shall meet as and when necessary to conduct the business of the network, arrange meetings of the members and the General Meeting where the Committee for the following year shall be elected.
10. The Annual Balance Sheet and a report of the year’s activities shall also be presented at the General Meeting.
- Membership shall be at the discretion of the Committee and shall be open to all professional women of any age, resident or trading in Gibraltar, who are planning or running a business or who are in managerial positions within other organisations, including Government Departments and Agencies. The following fees apply:
- An annual fee of £50 payable by every member commencing from or after 1st January of each year (£40 if paid before 1 January);
- Half yearly rate of £25 payable by every member commencing from or after 1st July of each year;
- A student fee or young start up businesswoman under the age of 25 to pay an annual fee of £15 commencing from or after 1st
Corporate Membership fees
- £40 per person (3+ members) discount of 5% for 5+ named members.
Note: Half yearly rate is effective from 1st July
- Meetings of the membership shall be arranged by the Committee at least four times each year including the Annual General Meeting.
- This Constitution may be altered only at a General Meeting, by a majority vote of two thirds of those members in attendance and proposals to this end must be supported by two signatures.
14. Notice of intention to alter either the Constitution or membership fees must be submitted in writing to the Secretary 21 days before the date of the Annual General Meeting.
This Constitution was formally adopted at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Women in Business, Gibraltar, formerly The Gibraltar Business Network, held on Monday 25th March 2013.
The Women in Business Purpose, Values and Objectives were revised and Membership fees were amended and formerly adopted on the 16.11. 2017.
Proposed by …………………………………………….
Seconded by ……………………………………………
The Honorary Officers of the Committee for 2017 are:
- Janet Brear: Chair
- Brenda Cuby: Vice-Chair
- Jacquie Claxton: Secretary
- Rachelle King: Treasurer
- Jennifer Stentiford: Events Co-ordinator
- Tonia Brooks: Membership Co-ordinator
- Fiona Young: Communications & IT Officer
- Jennifer Balantine: Education Liaison/Student Recruitment Officer
- Gill Welland: Marketing & Media Relations Officer
- Anne Lundin: Business Initiatives Officer